Did you know you should be exfoliating one to two times a week? The top layer of your skin is entirely made of dead skin cells. Exfoliating removes the dead surface skin cells which allows new ones to be uncovered. Without exfoliation the skin appears dry and rough and will also have a dull, tired looking appearance. Who wants that? Not me!
Exfoliating weekly will allow your daily products to work even better than they currently do. From toners to deodorant, exfoliating makes a huge difference. It will also give you that gorgeous glow as well as that youthful look.
Benefits of Exfoliation:
- Detoxification of the skin
- Brightens the complexion
- Gets rid of dead, dull skin cells
- Reveals healthy, younger skin
- Reduces fine lines and sun damage
- Improves skin tone
- Kills bacteria and prevents breakouts
- Improves product penetration and treatment results
If you’re planning on using a self-tanner, exfoliating will help you avoid uneven patches and provide you with the results you are looking for.
When you are getting ready to exfoliate be sure not to take the word ‘scrub’ to serious especially on the face because over exfoliating will result in red, irritated, flaking skin. Gently massage the exfoliant of your choice into your skin with light pressure.
When you are looking for an exfoliant to use, you will want to make sure it is all natural. Coarse natural ingredients like sea salt and natural sugars work particularly well in the removal of hard, dry skin patches on elbows and knees for example. However, these coarse natural ingredients can be used all over the body by applying different amounts of pressure on different areas.
The best part of using all natural ingredients is you can whip some up whenever you need it. The recipes below are simple to make and easy to use.
Bergamot & Mint Sea Salt Scrub
- 1 cup coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup almond oil or fractionated coconut oil
- 4 drops Bergamot Essential Oil
- 2 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
Place the sea salt in a medium bowl and slowly mix in the almond or coconut oil. Add Bergamot and Peppermint Essential Oils and stir well to combine. Store in a glass jar.
To use: Scoop out some of the mixture and rub onto desired area, using pressure to gently exfoliate the skin.
Mint Sugar & Sea Salt Body Scrub
- 1/2 cup coarse organic sugar
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 2 tablespoons local honey
- 1 teaspoon jojoba oil
- 1/8 cup of shea butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 10 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 2 (4 oz) jars or 1 (8 oz) jar
- In a ceramic or glass bowl, add the sugar and sea salt and blend well with a spoon.
- Add, coconut oil, honey and shea butter. Blend well.
- Work in the jojoba oil
- Once the mixture is blended, add the drops of Peppermint Essential Oil and blend.
- Transfer to glass jar and store in refrigerator to preserve it.
To use: Apply small amount with your fingertips and gently massage in a circular motion, for about 10-15 seconds. Rinse and pat or air dry.
With any natural exfoliant, make sure to stir before each use as the natural oils will settle at the bottom of the jar.